Africa, copyright BKWine PhotographyBKWine Pictures
A couple of days in the past I wrote about my collection of favourite wines from the Choice Sauvignon competitors and I promised to come back again with particulars of the general medal winners. So, right here you may examine a number of the easiest wines out of the 1210 that participated within the competitors.
However first a couple of phrases about how the competitors works. Primarily, the Concours Mondial du Sauvignon / Sauvignon Blanc Choice (or World Sauvignon Blanc competitors) is a very “blind” tasting; nothing in regards to the wines you style. You style the wines in sequence of round a dozen wines and they’re indirectly “comparable”, for instance, a sequence could be from a selected area, however you as a taster have no idea which area. The one factor that is the classic, however personally I discover that to be primarily irrelevant. Generally you may get some further data if it might probably have a selected impression on the analysis of the wine, e.g. “that is oak-aged”.
So that you mainly style all of the wines fully blind and consider them merely primarily based on the impression you get while you style them – their intrinsic high quality in your personal opinion.
Sauvignon, with me within the center, The Sauvignon Choice, copyright BKWine PhotographyBKWine Pictures
Another competitions are “half blind”. They group the wines into what they contemplate to be logical classes, for instance “Loire Valley sauvignon blanc in a worth vary between 5 and 15 euro”. That tends to result in that the tasters choose the wines extra on “typicity”, i.e. if they’re typical for the class they’re in, moderately than primarily based on their intrinsic high quality. Personally, I favor to evaluate the wine on their style moderately than on how they match some imaginary excellent style profile. This will typically give good surprises when you find yourself tasting and judging the wines with out preconceived concepts.
All wine tasting is basically subjective. There is no such thing as a approach to choose wines “neutrally” or “objectively” on some common high quality scale. (What’s the objectively “good” quantity of acidity or “good” quantity of oak ageing? Effectively, it is dependent upon your preferences). This being mentioned, generally the 5-7 judges in every tasting panel tends to have comparable opinions. However there are typically disagreements.
However let’s dive into the wines that stood out within the Concours Mondial du Sauvignon, or the CMB Sauvignon Choice.
Eight wines have been awarded particular trophies, so referred to as “revelations”:
Greatest Sauvignon of the Competitors – Dubourdieu Trophy
- Sauvignon Blanc Sieme Eichberg 2021 Weingut Adam-Lieleg, Südsteiermark, Austria
- Sauvignon Blanc Neusetzberg 2020 Weingut Krispel, Vulkanland Steiermark, Austria
- Sauvignon Chardonnay 2022 Domaine Saint-Lannes (SARL Nicolas Duffour), Côtes de Gascogne IGP, France
- La Grande Chatelaine 2019 Vignobles Joseph Mellot, Sancerre, France
- Raif Sauvignon 2021, Azienda Vinicola d. Giovanett G. C. sas, Vigneti delle Dolomiti IGT (Trentino Alto Adige), Italy
- Saint Clair Pioneer Block 1 Basis Block Sauvignon Blanc 2022, Saint Clair Household Property, Marlborough
Revelation South Africa
- Gustus Sauvignon Blanc 2020, Darling Cellars, Darling, South Africa
Revelation Oaked Sauvignon – Tonnellerie Sylvain Trophy
- Villiera Bush Vine Sauvignon Blanc 2022, Villiera Wines, Stellenbosch, South Africa
All in all a bit lower than a 3rd of the wines have been awarded some type of medal. You’ll find all of the medals on the Concours Mondial du Sauvignon right here.
The nation that introduced dwelling the biggest variety of medals was France which isn’t stunning since it’s also the nation with probably the most sauvignon blanc vineyards. The Steiermark area in Austria was the wine area that received probably the most medals, with 85 medals. Encouraging, because the competitors might be held in Austria subsequent yr. South Africa, that hosted the competitors this yr, was awarded a formidable 56 medals, a transparent illustration of that it is a profitable grape selection within the nation. That isn’t stunning. It’s a grape selection that will get a whole lot of consideration in South Africa they usually even have an organisation to put it up for sale: Sauvignon Blanc South Africa.
Awatere Valley, Marlborough, New Zealand, copyright BKWine PhotographyBKWine Pictures
The entire listing of medal winners is lengthy so I received’t topic you to that. However along with the above, I want to give some particular recognition to a number of the wines that confirmed nicely however that have been from much less well-known locations on the subject of Sauvignon blanc:
One medal winner from Argentina:
- Sauvignon Blanc Extremo 2021 Bodega Altupalka, Salta
Three from Bulgaria:
- DiVes vineyard Sauvignon Blanc Aged in oak barrels 2020, PGI Thracian Valley
- Quantum Sauvignon Blanc 2022, Domaine Boyar
- Pearl White Sauvignon Blanc Semillon 2022, Domaine Boyar
One from Chile:
- Casillero del Diablo Reserva Especial Sauvignon Blanc 2022, Valle de Colchagua
Three from Croatia:
- Sauvignon 2022 Vinarija Kopjar, Zagorje-Međimurje
- Sauvignon 2022 Vinarija Puhelek Purek, Prigorje-Bilogora ZOI
- Sauvignon 2022 Bolfan Vinski, Zagorje-Međimurje ZOI
One from the United States:
- Property Sauvignon Blanc 2022 St. Supéry Property Vineyards Vineyard, Napa Valley
Three from Greece
- Droumo Sauvignon Blanc 2021 Kir Yianni S.a, Macedonia, Regional Wine of Florina
- Samaropetra 2022 Kir Yianni S.a, Macedonia, Regional Wine of Florina
- Sauvignon Blanc 2022 Ktima Gerovassiliou, Macedonia
Two from Hungary:
- Bujdoso Sauvignon Blanc Choice 2021 Bujdosó Szolobirtok és Pincészet, Lake Balaton
- Haraszthy Clone Sauvignon 2021 Haraszthy Pincészet Ltd , , The Nice Plain, Etyek-Buda
One from Northern Macedonia
- Sauvignon Blanc Barovo 2022 Tikves AD Kavadarci Vineyard
Two from Mexico
- Vinaltura Sauvignon Blanc 2020 Vinaltura SA de Cv, Querétaro
- GG By Gina Sommelier Sauvignon Blanc 2018 Hoteles y Viñedos del Valle de Guadalupe SA de CV, Baja California
One from Portugal:
- Lagoalva Sauvignon Blanc-Verdelho 2022, Quinta da Lagoalva Vinhos SA, Tejo
Three from Romania:
- Castel Sauvignon Blanc 2017 Jidvei Srl, Transylvanie, Târnave
- Sauvignon Blanc Coltul Pietrei 2021 Vitis Metamorfosis, Muntenia, Dealu Mare
- Domeniul Ciumbrud Sauvignon Blanc 2022 Sc Domeniile Boieru Srl, Transylvanie, Aiud
One from Slovenia:
- EK Vinarstvo Šmarje Unoaked 2021 EK Vinarstvo Šmarje d.o.o., Primorska
And at last, two from Switzerland:
- Sauvignon Blanc La Mine 2022 Jean-Louis Mathieu, Valais AOC
- Château du Crest Sauvignon 2022 Domaine Château du Crest, Genève AOC
The complete outcomes of the World Sauvignon Blanc competitors can be found right here.
Observe me on Twitter or LinkedIn. Take a look at my web site.
We obtained into wine, gastronomy and journey for ardour. We love what we do and need to share it with you. “We” means Per and Britt, husband and spouse workforce, Swedish nationals however primarily based in Paris since lengthy, very lengthy. We’ve contributed to quite a few wine publications and now publish our personal on-line wine ezine, BKWine Journal. Our 5 wine books have received nationwide and worldwide awards, e.g. Greatest Wine E-book within the World for Professionals. We additionally run a wine journey enterprise, BKWine Excursions (listed as “world’s greatest wine excursions”), that takes us travelling all over the world’s wine areas a 3rd of the yr. We each go to some 200 wineries annually. Britt has been listed on Wine Enterprise Worldwide’s Wine Media Energy Checklist and Per was in a earlier life Vice President of a world tech firm and an INSEAD alumni. Oh sure, we even have one of many world’s greatest wine pictures collections at BKWine Pictures. You’ll be able to join with us by one in all our BKWine websites, or on Fb, or on twitter @bkwineper.
Learn MoreRead Much less