The overall prize cash for this summer time’s Girls’s World Cup will soar to greater than $150 million — a determine that is nonetheless far beneath the $440 million males obtained for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.
Why it issues: The elevated pool, introduced by FIFA on Thursday, is greater than 3 times larger than the 2019 girls’s match and 10 occasions larger than the 2015 match.
- FIFA president Gianni Infantino mentioned the group’s “ambition” is to have full parity between males’s and ladies’s prize cash for the 2026 and 2027 World Cups.
Zoom in: The $150 million fund from FIFA will go towards prize cash for groups, workforce preparation and funds to membership advantages, ESPN studies.
- A few of the prize cash ought to be used to pay gamers, Infantino mentioned.
- “Girls deserve a lot, rather more than that and we’re there to combat for them and with them,” he mentioned.
- Infantino additionally inspired broadcasters to pay extra for the rights to air the upcoming Girls’s World Cup.
Between the traces: Pay disparity between women and men in soccer has been an ongoing challenge lately. The USA, Canada, France and Spain have all campaigned for equal pay with the lads’s soccer groups.
- The U.S. girls’s nationwide soccer workforce settled a gender-based pay discrimination lawsuit with the US Soccer Federation for $24 million in February 2022.
- The federation introduced final Could that it’s going to guarantee equal pay for all competitions via collective bargaining agreements with each groups.
- Beneath the settlement, the FIFA prize cash from the lads’s and ladies’s World Cup matches will probably be pooled after which divided equally between the members of each groups.
Go deeper: U.S. soccer groups formally signal equal pay agreements